Are you interested in learning Karate?
At Kyoto Shotokan Karate Club, we're more that just a karate club, we are a family, a place where you can learn karate in safety, where karate students aged 5 and above Develop Real Life Skills, gaining in Confidence, Self Esteem and overall Quality of Life owing to improved physical and emotional health.
We welcome new members at anytime.
If you are not sure, you are more than welcome to come along and watch a training session and chat with the Instructor and other students.
You are always welcome to come along and try a free trial session, no obligations.
Try it, and see if you like it.
You don't have to take out association Membership straight away or buy any expensive equipment, we let you settle in first to make sure you're happy and that Karate is for you.
- First session free - no obligation
- Structured classes - beginner to advanced
- Club instruction - over 30 years experience
- Annual guest instructor courses in Bristol
- Kyu gradings by Hanshi Shiro Asano (9th Dan)
- Dan gradings registered in SKIF (Tokyo), recognised world-wide
- Annual SKI-GB Team and National championships
- SKI-GB Courses with Hanshi Shiro Asano (9th Dan)
Our lesson fees are:
- £4.00 per hour for Adults (14+)
- £3.00 per hour for Juniors (5-13yrs).
Discounts for multiple sessions / families apply.
The first lesson is free!
Training Class Schedule
We have karate classes in Bristol on the following evenings:
Thursday evenings: view map
Avonmouth Rugby Club,
Barracks Lane, Shirehampton. Bristol.
6:00p.m. - 7:00p.m. Level - Beginner
7:00p.m. - 8:00p.m. Level - Beginner / Intermediate
8:00p.m. - 9:00p.m. Level - Intermediate / Advanced
Annual membership to our association SKI-GB is £25 per annum.
A Karate Gi (suit) for a beginner will cost around £10 - £20 (depending upon size)
SKI-GB gradings, conducted by Hanshi Asano 9th Dan, cost £55
Calories Burned – Karate
The exact amount of calories burned doing karate is going to vary, based upon a few different things, one of which is how much you weigh.
All data is from the Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise journal, the official journal of the American College of Sports Medicine.
- If you weigh roughly 130 pounds: 590 calories burned karate per hour
- If you weigh roughly 155 pounds: 704 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 180 pounds: 817 calories burned per hour
- If you weigh roughly 205 pounds: 931 calories burned per hour
Bristol: European City of Sport 2017
As part of the Bristol European City of Sports Are you Game campaign we are currently offering 6 free karate lessons between May and September 2017